This is a redo of a post I had on my 2nd (very short lived) blog. In typical Sally fashion, I completely deleted the blog, my pictures, and started all over.
Ask anyone who knows me well… I think I have a real shot at out-tidying Marie Kondo. Or ask Matt. He claims that I’ll throw anything that isn’t nailed down to the floor away.
Which is maybe true and is sometimes bad because important receipts go missing.
The point is that even with an emptied out apartment and a perennially emptying blog, I will happily remake these rice krispie treats and re-blog them because they are amazing and awesome.
I’ve taken and modified the recipe from Smitten Kitchen, but with a very slight modification. I prefer my rice krispie treats extra thick — so I’ve doubled the recipe and put it in a 9×13-inch pan. You wind up having to reeeeally pack the fluffy cereal down.
I make it on a regular basis and then spend the next week hiding them in various cupboards, so they don’t get eaten right away.
salted, brown butter rice krispie treats
- 8 oz unsalted butter (save a teeny bit for the pan)
- 2 10-oz bags marshmallows
- A heaping 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 box crispy rice cereal (12 oz box)
- Butter a 9’x13′ pan well on all sides.
- Brown the butter over medium-low heat. It will melt, foam, and then turn clear gold. It’ll brown very quickly and will burn if you’re not careful, so keep an eye on the color changing and smell. Stir frequently!
- As soon as it turns a nice golden brown and smells nutty, turn the heat off and stir in marshmallows. Mix until they’re all melted.
- Remove the pot from the stove, then stir in the cereal and salt. Spread it into the prepared pan. Press down on the tops to get the rice krispies flat and smooth.
- Let it cool completely and cut into squares!